Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back to my alma mater!  I was extremely honored to be the keynote speaker at the Kansas University Medical Center Global Health Week April 17.  I was reminded once again of the extremely significant role the University played in my life.  As a member of the first class of the KU PhD nursing program, I sometimes felt we were feeling our way together in the new curriculum.  But without a doubt, my doctoral work laid the foundation for my passion in life -- working in the developing world with village women.  I had the best of the best advising me, demanding excellence, and guiding me through the process.  So many women throughout the world have benefited from the life-changing educational experience  KU provided for me.  Go Jayhawks!!

Sherri with conference organizer, Dr. Judith Reagan
Later in the week I participated in a panel on Sustainability of programs with Dr.Nicholas Comninellis, MD, President and CEO of the Institute for International Medicine in Kansas City,  Dr. Stan Shaffer, MD, co-founder of Maison de Naissance, a birthing home inHaiti,  and Lisa VanHoose, PhD, who trains rehabilitation therapists in St. Lucia and Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment