Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I was raped

Wasaidizi health workers teaching mothers in DR Congo


"I was raped.  I wanted to die, my sisters came, and I got hope."  This is the story line heard over and over by Leymah Gbowee, the 2016 International Peace Award recipient at the June 4, 2016 Community of Christ World Conference.  Ms. Gbowee was referring to the women in the Democratic Republic of Congo that is often called the capital of rape but which she refers to as the capital of sisterhood.

I would second her motion.  Whether the tragedy is rape, trauma during child birth, a diagnosis of AIDS, the death of a mother, or any number of other human tragedies, the volunteer health workers we proudly call HealthEd Connect heroes, have the same mantra sung for them...  "I was (you fill in the blank), I wanted to die, my sisters came, and I got hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment