Sunday, October 18, 2015

It's Not All About the Money



Andrew Murphy celebrating his half marathon










I finished! I've been training all summer for today... and it's done! I ran the Waddell & Reed Half Marathon Saturday in Kansas City, MO. I started this journey to raise money for HealthEd Connect's Teacher Mentor Program. I'm happy to announce that I raised $1,765! Even though I believe it's terribly important to have the resources available to do things that are needed to help people, I have learned over the summer that those $1,765 is not the only thing HealthEd Connect has gained. Due to my marathon training and asking people to donate, I've told "my" HealthEd Connect story to at least 200 people. Those 200 people now know why this organization means so much to me. This is what they heard:
I'm running because I believe all children deserve an excellent education, no matter where they are born. 
I'm running because I believe teachers need support and professional development to be their best selves. 
I'm running because I've seen first hand that HealthEd Connect does just that for the lives of students and teachers in Zambia. 
So, whether it's HealthEd Connect or another non-profit that you choose to do some crazy thing for, don't forget it's not all about the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment