Thursday, November 6, 2014

The stigma of AIDS lives on


Teresa (left) with Gershom is now the chairman of the Kasompe School Board as well as a loyal Kafwa.
         
The following report was just received from Teresa regarding the Kafwa activity in Kasompe.  This is a good example of the home-based health care the Kafwa do on a regular basis.  So sad...
Mary Musonda is 22 yrs. She has completed her high school. In March I received a report from Florence A. kafwa. That next door to her house, they is a girl who came for a funeral to mourn her aunty. But she is not looking to well, if I would go and visit. The next day I went there after talking to her she told me to say, she had put a jaddle [no idea what this is] and she started experiencing a pain in her stomach and she developed a growth. She also told me that she has done a HIV test and she is negative and even for TB. But when you look at her she has loss of weight, coughing etc. I had a word with her and she said she will go to her nearby clinic when she goes back home.

Three weeks later I received another report that she is back discharged from hospital and she wanted to see me.

I went there, she was looking very bad. She was happy to see me. Then she said I sent for you because I want you to be taking drugs for me from the clinic and I asked her for TB and she said no. she said aunty I am HIV positive, I asked her who will u tell? She said nobody. But what of your husband? She said I told him. He told me that he is also HIV positive and he is on treatment. It was not easy for him to disclose to me. But how about your two years old son? They did DBS etc. But you told me when we first met that you were not HIV positive. Yes but it was my husband who asked for it. Since we had no ART clinic we agreed to go the following week to Chiwempala. The Art clinic is done three days a week.

I had a word with the family member. But told them to keep it a secret. I told them they need to check her HB, supply sputum etc. But how we work has kafwas. We have a small fund and you as a family we should put the resource together. They agreed.

On a Tuesday 22nd April transport was provided. They did the CD4 count and the HB was very low 5, so they cannot start the treatment, given iron tablets and advised to be taking natural vegetables. When we were waiting for transport I saw the child’s under five card. It was circled child exposed I said to myself this girl knew her status and she has defaulted treatment. I felt bad, then I asked her don’t you want to know your child’s status? She said she would love it. The test was done and the results were negative. He is two years old.

Follow ups were done nearly every day. While we are waiting for the next visit. We also helped with food supplement. Because her living standard is not too well.

On the 2nd April I received a message that Mary was not to well, so they have taken her to the clinic and she has been referred to the hospital. I and Monica went to visit her, bought her yogurt and some water; she looked very sick and has lost weight and blood. She said to me do not forget the appointment we have at the ART clinic on the 6th April. Mary died on the 5th April due to loss of blood…. May Her Soul Rest In Peace.   

No comments:

Post a Comment