Monday, March 25, 2013

Bidding adieu to Kathmandu

Comparing the effects of lack of water on plants and people
Ishwori using a Coca Cola bottle to measure water for Oral
Rehydration Solution
Our "baby" that peed and had diarrhea but
recovered quickly when given water
We finished the training on a real high!  In our closing activity, each Soyamsabika was asked to tell one thing that she had learned that was especially helpful.  Each one wanted to recap the whole training but in the interest of time we finally convinced them to prioritize the most important lesson they would take home.  This is when I learned an important lesson!  Many said they were especially glad to know how to make oral rehydration solution with rice  for the babies with diarrhea.  I almost didn't teach that since it takes so much more time to soak the rice, pound it into a paste and cook it than it does to make an equally good solution from sugar, salt, and water.  I wanted to save them a little time.  They said the reason they were glad to learn about the rice was that they frequently did not have sugar in the village.  How much we take for granted.

[The slow internet prevented me from attaching pictures and sending blogs while in Nepal.  So even though Jac and I are back in the U.S. I will send the blogs I wanted to send from Nepal.]

No comments:

Post a Comment