Thursday, August 9, 2012

Only Half Crazy!


Callie and baby son, Harper.
Here's a great challenge written by one of our biggest supporters, Callie Streich:

How often do we make the time to take a hard look at ourselves?  If that time is taken, it might involve going into our mind's cellar, grabbing a 10 year old mason jar off the shelf, begin the task of trying to pry open the rusted over lid -- and when too much discomfort is involved we put the dusty jar back on the dusty shelf next to all the other canned items.  We tell ourselves that we'll make time another day...when the jar's not so hard to open.
The summer of 2002, I went to Zambia with an international volunteer program that allows young adults and adults to take part in intercultural experiences.  Zambia...Africa...has a way of finding its way into your heart and soul and setting up camp.  I can remember the faces, the smells, the sights, the sounds...all of them a part of me.  I'm lousy with directions (my husband bought me a GPS one year and joked that if I got lost, it was now a customer service issue); but I can remember my village, the villages nearby, and how to navigate in and between them. Of all the events in my life up until then, the ones I experienced that summer are the most vivid and real. 

I continue to have a tug at my heart for Zambia but am always at a loss for how to reach out. I recently was inspired by someone who has devoted some of her time to the HealthEd Connect Mentor Program by traveling to Zambia and working with orphaned children.  In the process of bringing awareness to her work, she raised money by running a marathon. I have never been a runner, but have gotten in my head I want to run a half marathon (because I'm only half crazy - ha!) and in doing so, raise money for this amazing program.
HealthEd Connect is a phenomenal organization that has been instrumental in providing education, counseling, health education and even saving lives not only in Zambia, but in Malawi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Nepal. 
My goal for the program is to raise $1500 for the mentor program. Even if I don't reach it, every little bit helps!!  Your tax-deductible donation can be made directly to Health Ed Connect at http://www.healthedconnect.org/donatenow.php. Please specify that your donation is for "Teacher Mentor in honor of Callie Streich". (If you have issues donating, I can help!)
I will be chronicling my training for the Sept. 22nd half-marathon on my blog: www.streichfam.blogspot.com. Click on the “Half crazy? HECk yes!” tab.
In my right hand, in that dank dark cellar, I'm holding the jar labeled, "But what do I even have to offer?"  In my left hand is the opened lid...excuses spilled onto the floor.
I look forward to this journey and I look forward to sharing it with you!
Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment