Friday, May 25, 2012


Teaching Mom to read!

“My father passed away and there are three of us girls still with our mom.  My younger sister is in Grade 1 here at Young Peacemakers School and I want her to complete school, so I make sure she comes to school and help her complete her homework at night. My mom can’t help because she doesn’t know how to read.  One day, when I can read well, I will teach my mom how to read English, too,” Esther says with a shy smile on her face.  “And when I finish school to become a nurse, then maybe I can buy a house for my mom.”  Esther began her studies at YPM in Grade 1 at age ten and now she has excelled into Grade 3.  Her example of punctuality and attendance makes her a model for her younger sisters and her fellow students.  “It’s so important to come to school every day so I can finish my studies and help my family.”  Esther is one YPM student who received an award at the close of school in March for her perfect attendance.  In order to contest absenteeism, teachers devised a plan to give school supplies as awards to children with perfect attendance at the end of the month.  Thank you to HEC donors who made this program a possibility by your donations to the Teacher Mentor Fund!
                                                                Reported by Lisa Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment