Monday, May 14, 2012

Meet Florence and Titus!

Florence is very shy around adults, falling nearly silent when addressed.  Her quirky smile is difficult to incite, but when it flashes across her face, it melts your heart. Her cousin Titus, on the other hand, is well spoken and friendly, ready to share his cordial greeting and his captivating story.  They are both double orphans living with the same auntie caretaker.  “There were four sisters and now only one remains.  There are seven of us children and we all stay together in one household,” Titus explains.  Their auntie tries to pay the small school fees of 10,000kw per term ($2.00), but can’t always manage even this.  The kids are thankful they can attend school even if their fees aren’t paid yet, as this would not be the case at the government schools.  “I like school,” Florence says, “because I want to change my life.  My auntie doesn’t have permanent work, just piece work.  If I go to school then I can work when I grow up.  Then I can help my family.”    (Florence is 9 years old in Grade 2 and Titus is 11 years old in Grade 3.)

                                                                                                    Reported by Lisa Ash.
[This is the first of several stories about the kids directly benefitting from HealthEd Connect programs in Zambia.  As Lisa said when she sent them, "Keep your tissues handy!"  The good news is their lives are being changed dramatically thanks to supporters like you who fund the programs!]

No comments:

Post a Comment