Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kafwa making the rounds for their home visits.

The Kafwa health workers are truly amazing!  I have been priviledged to accompany them on several home visits this year.  One of the more memorable people I met was Tomilla who was born in 1910 -- do the math!  She had 13 children, 11 of whom died after they were adults.  She now lives with one of her 18 grandchildren.  Her

 When I entered Tomilla's house she was sitting on the floor, leaning against a sofa that had most of its stuffing hanging out, and had a charcoal brazzier by her side to keep warm.  She immediately apologized for not having any mutnkgo, a beverage served to guests. She fell 1 1/2 years ago, broke her hip, and scoots around on the floor explaining "These are my legs now" (indicating her hands).  Incredible sense of humor!  When I complimented her on the colorful red and yellow flower turban she had wrapped around her head, she looked puzzled at first, reached up and patted it, and then broke into a wide smile as she remembered what she was wearing.

When I asked if she liked to have the Kafwa come every week she said, " SANA!!" which means "very much" in Swahili.  "Now I know the burden is lighter."  When we got ready to leave, her daughter-in-law who is her primary caregiver said "I feel like dancing! This house does not receive visitors because it is so poor."

No comments:

Post a Comment