Monday, July 11, 2011

Thanks from Sinkhani


Sinkhani studying baby-weighing scale
 We received many words of thanks from the Sinkhani in Malawi for supporting the health worker program over the years.

In their own words, here are some of their thoughts as verbalized during the training.

Ester - I thank God for giving me a long life so I can work as Sinkhani.
Angela - Because of Sinkhani I was able to go to Zambia and be close to Congo [1992 gathering of health workers we sponsored that brought together the health workers from Zambia, Malawi, and Congo.  This was a huge event in the lives of these women and one they still talk about.]  I joined the church in 1992 and became a Sinkhani.
Another Sinkhani - We want to get all of the good lessons so we can share them in Kasungu [a new area].  We want to assure you we will do exactly as we learn.
Ireen - Thank you to Jac and Sherri.  From the lessons they have been teaching us we are very important people in our communities.  People say "Let's not go to the hospital, let's go to Sinkhani first."  We have opened our eyes and now we know a lot of things.
Brown [our only male Sinkhani] - Now I'm called a woman because I always stay with women.  I'm proud because here in Malawi I am the only man Sinkhani.
Zione - I work with over 200 children in a school.  Now with training I can do even better.
Another Sinkhani - I ask the Lord to give me more life so I can work with Sinkhani.
Another Sinkhani - I joined the church after 1992 and missed the [first] Sinkhani training.  I've been waiting ever since to attend training and become a Sinkhani.
Another Sinkhani - Last year I was very sick and afraid I would have to leave Sinkhani.  Now I am better and can continue.  I was one who got to go to Mwnese [the 1992 gathering in Zambia].  Sinkhani members were 11 but now we are growing up with more members.  Jac and Sherri use to come as two but now there are many of us.

They also resurrected a little song they wrote in 1992.  It has a real catchy tune and goes like this:

Who started Sinkhani here in Malawi?
Sherri started Sinkhani
She was wise enough
She did not fear
She came in Malawi

They added a new verse for this training --
You women be wise
Do not fear
You will go to Chinteche [location for this year's training]


The view of Lake Malawi from our training site


No comments:

Post a Comment