Thursday, July 23, 2015

Teach me to read!


Sharpening the garden hoe
You don't need a common language to communicate!  This lady in Kasompe was sharpening her hoe on a convenient rock when she saw me walk by.  She immediately dropped her hoe, pointed to her eyes, and then held her open hands in front of her to simulate a book.  I got her message right away!  Just to be sure I understood, however, she ran to get a teacher to translate the 'conversation' which meant "I want to learn to read!"

We now have 3 classes of adult literacy going in Chipulukusu:  14 beginners, and 17 medium and advanced students.  They meet 5 days a week for 2 hours each time.  They pay a few kwacha each month to the teachers who run the classes.  There's a thirst everywhere for adult literacy!  Seeing the children learn has whetted their appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment